Sunday, April 10, 2011

homemade oatmeal creme pie!



disclaimer: these are not healthy. that being said, they are so addictive that i gave myself a stomach ache before the gooey filling had even been made. 

my second admission is that i've never actually had a real-deal little debbie oatmeal creme pie. some people might consider this good parenting and others might consider it child neglect, but my snack of choice as a child was a little thing called a pastelito de guayaba (sweet puff pastry filled with guava, or quince). but, i've decided to give this little debbie a chance considering how many people confused my zebra cake with one of deb's concoctions. since the most requested snack was her oatmeal creme pie i decided to whip up a batch! 


first, like with any good recipe, you start by creaming a ton of butter and sugar. granted, i got five dozen cookies out of this recipe, so feel free to cut the recipe in half.


the batter is this gorgeous peanut-buttery color and makes delicious oatmeal cookies on its own. i honestly couldn't keep my fingers out of this batter and am guessing 3-4 cookies worth of dough fell victim to my cravings. 

(side note: i didn't realize you could see my rolled jeans & flip flops reflected in the bowl! it was almost 80 degrees in michigan today and i broke out my favorite shoes for the event.)


to pipe my delicious filling between my cookies i used a large sized round piping tip, but you could just as easily use a knife and just spread it on. the icing might seem a little unruly as you're making your sandwiches, but don't worry! it does set after about an hour, which then makes it super easy to put in baggies or stack for portability. 



not to brag, but i think i gave debbie a run for her money with these babies. the cookies themselves are hearty, delicious, and soft without falling apart. the addition of the marshmallow-vanilla filling takes it to a whole new level of fantastic. though making these is not a particularly fast process, i think it's totally worth it to relive your childhood and bring on the nostalgia.


homemade oatmeal creme pie

yields 30 sandwiches (plus 8-10 leftover cookies!)
adapted from beantown baker

for the cookies:

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour (i used 1 cup all-purpose & 1 cup whole wheat pastry)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups quick oats
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 tablespoons boiling water

for the filling:

1 stick unsalted butter
1 jar marshmallow fluff
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar


1. cream butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. once light and fluffy, add egg and mix until combined.

2. in a separate bowl, whisk together salt, flour, and baking power. add to creamed mixture. add cinnamon and oats and mix well.

3. in a small dish, add baking soda to boiling water and stir mixture into batter. mix well.

4. chill dough for 1-2 hours in fridge to let cool. 

5. preheat oven to 375 degrees and lined cookie sheet with parchment. 

6. drop tablespoons of dough onto sheet about two inches apart and bake for 8-9 minutes or until cookies are firm and golden around the edges. let cookies stand on sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to wire rack.

7. to make filling, whip butter in a stand mixer to soften. add jar of marshmallow and beat until fluffy. add powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time until combined. add vanilla and combine.

8. spread or pipe filling onto cool cookies and allow to set for 1-2 hours.


nutritional information:

calories: 213, fat: 6.67g, cholesterol: 23mg, sodium: 74mg, carbs: 18g, sugars: 13g, protein: 1.7g.


thanks for reading & happy baking!

amanda

28 comments:

  1. looks yummy! :)
    i love when i randomly check to see if you updated yet and find tht you have! i cant wait to try out this recipe sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amanda

    thank you so much for being to loyal to gwb! set aside a spring saturday for this project, but i promise you it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm embarrassed to admit that I basically survived on these in college, because they were the only substantial thing in the convenience store that I could get for less than 50 cents. Thank you for allowing me to reimagine them as beautiful and delicious treats (instead of the saddest sustenance ever).

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are so my hero! i always loved oatmeal cream pies, now i can have them again :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. As if that glorious photo wasn't enough, you had to add the word "nostalgia" to your TS caption. And anyone who knows me knows that I live for nostalgia, especially in cookie form.

    These look absolutely incredible and I can happily add a new blog to my reader. Win win.

    P.S. Cute flip flip shot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ali

    thank you so much for all your compliments! i'm also so honored to be added to your reader!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These definitely make me feel like a kid again. I wish I could eat one now. And by the way, I think you and I have the same granite countertops. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow these look great! and i'm sure MUCH better than the pre packaged stuff (although I have to admit they are tasty, and i have been known to drive miles for a prepacked hostess sno ball!) thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wish I was eating one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. New here and I'm totally make these with my kids today! The rain outside doesn't look quite so dreary anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, I just stumbled upon your blog via Pinterest and I baked these bad boys yesterday. SOOOO DEEEELISH!!!! Even better than Lil' Deb's.

    I didn't have fast cooking oats so I used slow cooking oats and honestly these still turned out great - nice and chewey and delicious. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made these tonight and they are really really good. I do think that mine needed more filling so I will double the filling next time. I doubt I will need all of a double batch, but I like a lot of filling in mine.

    This even makes a really good cookie without the filling. I plan to make these without the filling and add raisins to the batter real soon. Or maybe even a batch of iced oatmeal cookies for my hubby to dip in his coffee. (thats gross to me, but to each his own I guess)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What size jar of Marshmallow Fluff did you use? That could make a big difference in the amount filling you end up with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! I just wanted to lety ou know that I featured your awesome recipe on my blog here >> http://www.diannejago.com/10-pinterest-recipe-win-and-fails/

    Hope that's ok!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What size jar of fluff did everyone use????

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like to make my own fluff and use this recipe: http://www.chow.com/recipes/30296-homemade-marshmallow-creme

    It turns out great every time. I just use as much fluff as a standard size jar (it's about 7.5 oz - 8 oz). Sometimes I get crazy and add more fluff because the recipe makes quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used a 7oz jar.

    By the way, these were so easy and fun to make! I made the cookie mix and chilled it overnight then just rolled them into balls and baked them. The 8 minutes then 5 minutes of resting on the pan made the cookies quite soft.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Need Handsome Guy For Adult Dating Any One Is Here,Ping Me Now

    ReplyDelete
  19. terimakasih infonya, sukces terus. https://squabumin.com/aturan-konsumsi-madu-untuk-anak-anak/

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love this one
    https://callgirlsindelhi.co.in/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job with this blog! I really enjoyed reading it. Keep up the good work! Inr Plus Your trusted company for Loan Against Lal Dora Property, Loan Against Property without map, loan against rented property and loan against industrial property in Delhi NCR Apply online today!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great blog post! I appreciate the effort you put into creating this blog. Looking for your dream home in the vibrant city of Gurgaon? Shree Ganesh Estate Real Estate Consultant have exclusive flats available for sale in the highly sought-after Dwarka Expressway area.

    ReplyDelete